August 28, 2018

keyon gaskin: "You can get it how i decide to give it to you, but you can't get it like you want it. Now what?"

.



i haven't always had normative access to this world, being in my body, being how i am. It has everything to do with being queer, punk, anti-professional, anti-capitalist. i've been refused access the whole time, and now you want to access me? You can get it how i decide to give it to you, but you can't get it like you want it. Now what?

But i'm also not invested in my success, and this is also a big part of my practice that i hold onto. Look, i can die poor and nobody can know my work. i love my family and friends, eating, being by the water, enjoying existence. i am a very resourceful person and i'll be fine. i don't need your institution to validate me.

- keyon gaskin



[From: keyon gaskin in conversation with Essence Harden.]



.

No comments: