September 13, 2026

Some Favourite Non-Fiction Books

.


I was staring at my ongoing list of Some Favourite Books, trying to figure out what I like and why, when I started thinking how important non-fiction has been for me over these past few years. And since the above-mentioned list is getting rather long – and everyone knows how much I love lists – I thought I'd edit it down into a shorter list of some favourite non-fiction books:

Wayward Lives, Beautiful Experiments – Saidiya V. Hartman
Worthy of the Event: An Essay – Vivian Blaxell
Touching the Art – Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore
My Rock ’n’ Roll Friend – Tracey Thorn
The Long Run – Stacey D’Erasmo
Animal Joy – Nuar Alsadir
Believers: Making a Life at the End of the World – Lisa Wells
Ordinary Notes – Christina Sharpe
What You Have Heard Is True – Carolyn Forché
The Feminism of Uncertainty – Ann Snitow
The Mushroom at the End of the World – Anna Lowenhaupt Tsing
Outlaw Woman – Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz
Incognegro - Frank B. Wilderson III
Pollution Is Colonialism – Max Liboiron
The Nutmeg’s Curse – Amitav Ghosh
Lee Lozano: Dropout Piece – Sarah Lehrer-Graiwer
This Little Art – Kate Briggs


Bonus:
Some passages from Touching the Art by Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore
Some passages from My Rock ’n’ Roll Friend by Tracey Thorn
Some passages from The Long Run by Stacey D’Erasmo
Some passages from Animal Joy by Nuar Alsadir
Some passages from Believers by Lisa Wells
Some passages from Ordinary Notes by Christina Sharpe
Some passages from What You Have Heard Is True by Carolyn Forché
Some passages from The Feminism of Uncertainty by Ann Snitow



.

No comments: