August 28, 2016

Some Favourite Canadian Books

.



[When I'm in Europe I'm often asked to recommend Canadian books I like and generally I can never think of any off the top of my head. When I read Oscar of Between, I was really blown away by it, and somehow it inspired me to make this (obviously really subjective) list. As is my habit, it is in no particular order. I think the list might get a bit longer in the days, months or years to come...]



Islands of Decolonial Love – Leanne Simpson 
Zong! – M. NourbeSe Philip
Oscar of Between – Betsy Warland
Thou – Aisha Sasha John
From the Archives of Vidéo Populaire – Anne Golden
Our Lady of Perpetual Realness & Other Stories – Cason Sharpe
Salt Fish Girl – Larissa Lai
Fierce Femmes and Notorious Liars – Kai Cheng Thom
Accordéon – Kaie Kellough
Bridge Retakes – Angela Lopes
Blood Fable – Oisin Curran
Picture Theory – Nicole Brossard
Canadian Healing Oil – Juan Butler
Ethics Of Luxury – Jeanne Randolph
Bodymap – Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
Debbie: An Epic – Lisa Robertson
The Sorrowful Canadians & Other Poems - Wilfred Watson
The Swallower Swallowed - Réjean Ducharme
The Well-Dressed Wound - Derek McCormack
Pandora - Sylvia Fraser
Saudade: The Possibilities of Place - Anik See
Smoke Show - Clint Burnham



.

2 comments:

Martin Heavisides said...

Running in the Family--Michael Ondaatje
Class Warfare--D.M. Fraser
Pandora--Sylvia Fraser
Guthrie Clothing: the Poetry of Phil Hall, a selected collage
Nights in the Underground--Marie Claire Blais
La Guerre, Yes Sir! trilogy, Roch Carrier
Les Belle Soeurs/Hosanna/St Carmen of the Main, Michel Tremblay
Undermind--Martin Heavisides

Bernard Schutze said...

Not many Québecois (French) authors on your list...