September 26, 2023

Steffani Jemison Quote

.


“I used to think that time is just one thing, the way a ruler is always the same length, twelve inches or twenty-four inches or even a yard.

Then I started to run and learned that time is only like distance if we measure distance with taffy or rubber bands or chewing gum or pleats, anything that can expand wide like an accordion or shrink small enough to swallow.

I found that the twenty or thirty minutes of a run could feel like the longest twenty minutes of your life. The final block, the final leg, the final lap, the final half mile – they could feel like the longest hundred feet in the world.

Even when I ran every day, when I felt I could never imagine being more accustomed to something than I was accustomed to running, even then, I sometimes felt I would never reach the end.

There are things you do because they’re easy and there are other things you do.”

– Steffani Jemison, A Rock, A River, A Street


.

No comments: